Monday 4 August 2014

How do I choose the perfect red lipstick?

I know this isn't specifically bridal advice but I often get asked a lot of questions about how to chose the right makeup, etc so I have decided to feature the questions in my blog as I feel it will help all of you to be even more beautiful...
Anyway, here's the first question...
Question/
I have never really used lipstick before but now I would like to a bit when I go out clubbing and stuff. I looked around and found them to be quite a bit of money so I want to be sure the lipstick is going to work before I buy some. That’s why I’m here!
I would like a red but I’m not sure what shade to go for, is there one that will work best with my face? What’s brands are the best? Also I have a winter ball to attend this weekend. I have a red dress for it. Should the lipstick match the colour of the dress or not?
Thank you! Xxxx

Answer/
To chose the right colour red for you, the first thing you need to do is figure out what skin tone you have (alabaster, fair, medium, olive, brown or black) and whether you have a warm or a cool complexion. (If you are not sure you can check out my previous blog for guidance - What Is My Skin Tone?)
As a general rule;
Alabaster and fair skin tends to suit red with blue undertones and corals. (blue based reds should have no hint of orange or pink and is similar to what Dita Von Teese usually wears)

Blue based red lipstick
Medium and olive skin tends to suit orange based reds. Blue based shades can also work but as orange based reds tend to be more vibrant they can really pop against medium skin tones.

Orange based red lipstick
Darker skin tones tend to suit burgundy or purple based red lipsticks as the darker shade of red is more flattering to the skin tone.

Purple based red

Warm skin tones tend to suit wine/purple based reds and cool skin tones tend to suit blue based reds.
The above is just a general rule and like most rules there are exceptions so the best thing to do would be to go to your local shops and have a play to see which ones look better against your skin tone and how they feel (some can feel quite dry or waxy so the best brand is more a personal preference). As red is a colour that tends to bleed, make sure you use a matching or nude lip liner to keep edge defined. Also, if you feel that the red is too bright try add an extra layer of mascara or darken your eye makeup slightly as this will draw attention away.
Remember the most important thing to do is not be afraid of experimenting and have fun trying the different shades out until you find one you are comfortable with :)

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed this post :)

1. Photo credit: Sian Robertson, makeup by Haley Ryan, model Chelsea Thorpe

2. Photo credit: jerine / Foter / CC BY

3. Photo credit: Erzsèbet / Foter / CC BY-NC-ND

4. Photo credit: april-mo / Foter / CC BY-NC-SA

No comments:

Post a Comment